Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Orange mucus/nasal discharge out of left nostril what is it?

dgoree - Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:20 am

This is a definite orange, not pink, it is not blood, I have had blood in my snot before, when my nose was bleeding, however this is definitely orange, and only out of one nostril, the left one. I'm just worried, because I have been sick for almost three weeks now, and I'm never sick like that. I'm starting to feel dizzy and having trouble hearing some, since my ears feel plugged up. The only definitive symptom is congestion, most of my other symptoms are gone, and they all pointed to a common cold. I never had a Fever, but the congestion now has been causing some severe Coughing due to post nasal drip. If any one can tell me why it is orange and if I have anything to worry about that would be great.
Thanks
DG
Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:15 pm

Hi dgoree,
Personally I have not seen orange nasal drainage. Pink, red, green, yellow, tan, yes but regardless and colored nasal drainage or sputum production needs evaluated by a physician to rule out an infection source and may require treatment with an Antibiotic. I would suggest an evaluation.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us