The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Orange mucus/nasal discharge out of left nostril what is it?

dgoree - Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:20 am

This is a definite orange, not pink, it is not blood, I have had blood in my snot before, when my nose was bleeding, however this is definitely orange, and only out of one nostril, the left one. I'm just worried, because I have been sick for almost three weeks now, and I'm never sick like that. I'm starting to feel dizzy and having trouble hearing some, since my ears feel plugged up. The only definitive symptom is congestion, most of my other symptoms are gone, and they all pointed to a common cold. I never had a Fever, but the congestion now has been causing some severe Coughing due to post nasal drip. If any one can tell me why it is orange and if I have anything to worry about that would be great.
DG
Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:15 pm

Hi dgoree,
Personally I have not seen orange nasal drainage. Pink, red, green, yellow, tan, yes but regardless and colored nasal drainage or sputum production needs evaluated by a physician to rule out an infection source and may require treatment with an Antibiotic. I would suggest an evaluation.