Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Oral and dental diseases

Question: Inner right cheek irritation, stiffness

Orc - Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:03 am


Im a 23 year old male without any real bad habits (IE Smoking, drinking) and for the past several weeks Ive been having an odd sensation on the inside of my right cheek. For awhile the skin inside my cheek felt raised, with a really intense coppery taste. Thats calmed a little, but it still feels weird and sometimes the coppery taste goes away but comes back after eating or rubbing the area with my tongue. Sometimes it also feels a bit stiff, I can move it easily enough but the area just feels stiffer on the skin, but when I move it goes away for awhile. Other times it has a rather annoying stinging pain sensation, not really terribly painful just really annoying. Ive looked several times and cant find anything different in comparison to my other cheek, other then the skin looks slightly more wrinkled like the skin of your fingers would look after too much time in the water.

I went to see the dentist for a cleaning little over a week ago and she said she didnt see anything unusual and that I may have just bit my cheek. But Ive bit my cheek before and I cant recall the symptoms lasting this long or being this irritating. Im really scared it might be something serious, though I may be panicking over nothing Id really rather be sure what it is and what I could do to help it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Orc - Mon May 02, 2005 9:36 pm

well, it's still irritating me...I don't know what it is, I thought it might be a canker sore but I read up on those a little and the symptoms didn't really match, least the visual. The skin little all rippled and somewhat 'cracked' almost but the edges are smooth. It's really worrying me I don't know what it could be but it burns and stings sometimes and as careful as I am brushing and eating it doesn't seem to want to go away :(

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us