The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Nutrition & Diet

Question: Can I gain 5 to 10 pounds without gaining FAT?

sexieshortie - Thu Aug 21, 2003 4:39 am

I am 17 years old, 5'5 and about 100 pounds. I have recently missed my period for about 2 1/2 months and the month before I missed it I had it twice. Now over the year I lost about 40 pounds (I was 140 pounds) and by eating better and excercising more (I am NOT anorexic). Now I have gone to my doctor and I got blood tests and an EKG test and all were perfect, so he says my period is gone because of my weight and that I seriously need to gain weight. But I seriously like how I look and I feel perfectly fine. So my question is how can I atleast gain 5 to 10 pounds without gaining FAT? This is my diet: Breakfast: Cornflakes with Skim milk, orange juice Lunch: 2 fruit servings (ex:apple and some watermelon)Dinner: normal (Ex: chicken potatoes and veggies or eggs toast and veggies, etc..) ....Now my mom is trying to make me eat more, so I am adding one piece of whole wheat toast with a couple slices of ham on it for lunch. Do you think this will help me get my period back? What do you suggest? Please help me, thank you. :?
Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:52 am

Dear Sexieshortie,

Your body mass index is abnormally low according to the information that you have provided.

First of all, check a pregancy test. If negative you have to know that if you loose too much weight, the brain thinks that you are sick so it stops making the hormones that regulate the menstrual period because it thinks you are not fit to become pregnant and in addition you should not be loosing all that blood if you are sick.

Though you look great and you like what you look lilke, your weight is abnormally low. At 140 pounds, your body mass index was perfect. You did not need to loose weight at that time.

You should abandon the diet regimen that you are sticking to but continue to exercise on regular basis.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge. com and I hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M. D.