The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Throat hurts

thekatt - Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:34 am

My throat hurts when I laugh or Cough. It's a very scratchy dry painful feeling that lingers for a good few minutes after a Cough or laugh. I went to an ENT, two of them, and they found nothing as said maybe it was acid reflux. I personally feel like that is not it. Tried the purple pill for a couple of months and nothing. In the beginning it used to hurt when I talked even, now it's just after a good laugh or Cough. I think I can trace it back to a rowdy scream during a football game, but both my ENTs said there was no damage that they could see. Could this be a pinched nerve of some sort? It's been around for 3 months! Any ideas??
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:21 pm

Hello thekatt,
Has your voice changed in tone?
If your ENT doctors say that its ok then there is probably nothing wrong with you. If there were even the slighest inflammation they would easily be able to see it. The problem with throat symptoms is that they are more often associated with psychological problems (neurosis, Anxiety). Once an organic cause is ruled out then a psychogenic cause for your symptoms is all that is left.
thekatt - Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:03 pm

Thanks for your reply.

So what should I do? Do you think I should go see a neurologist or something? I mean, the discomfort and pain is certainly there, so I don't know if maybe it's a different field of doctor that I need to see. Maybe they would look for something that an ENT wouldn't?

And to answer your question, no, the tone in my voice hasn't changed. Everything seems normal when I talk...now if I shout, I can feel that same type of discomfort, though not quite the same as when I laugh or Cough..
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:43 pm

Neuropsychiatrist. He would also rule out a psychogenic cause for this while at the same time evaluating you from a neurologically.