Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Eye diseases (Ophthalmology)

Question: eye symptom

maiden75 - Sun May 08, 2005 1:14 pm

Every now and then I get a sparkle or speck in my vision that looks like a white piece of glitter. It appears and disappears in a second. I do have migraines so I know about weird visual stuff with Headaches, but this seems to happen sometimes just out of the blue when Im driving, on the computer or just watching tv or just sitting there. Today I had the sparkle but I also have a Headache that seems to run up the back of my head and behind my eyes and throbs when I exert myself....occasionally I wake up with this type of pain after sleeping on my neck wrong or something and Tylenol makes it go away or sometimes it goes away on its own ...Is it just due to the Headache? Thanks in advance!
Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sun May 08, 2005 3:11 pm

maiden, what you are experiencing is called an "aura". It is very common symptom with migraines, more commonly happens just preceding one. The Neck pain is also an extension of migraines sometimes. When you get an aura, you should take whatever medication works for you at that point in time. Something with caffiene is usually the best over the counter treatment, like Excedrin or a generic equivalent, provided you don't have a history of ulcers. It has Aspirin, Tylenol and a small amount of caffiene, about the same amount as in a cup of coffee. It doesn't give very many people the jitters.