The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Eye diseases (Ophthalmology)

Question: Eye injury/irregular pupil

cuberoot - Sat May 14, 2005 11:04 am

I was hit in the eye with a squash ball a week ago. I had blood in my eye and went to an optometrist. My pupil was also an oblong shape. I was given pilocarpine drops to constrict the pupil and maxitrol which I think was to clear up the blood.

The blood is now gone and my eye looks much better. The pilocarpine drops constrict my pupil to a tiny size. My problem is that when the drops wear off, my pupil is large, slightly irregular and it does not constrict or dilate. It stays much larger than my healthy pupil. Is that because the pupil may still be affected by the drops.

I don't understand why?The eye muscles seem to be working because the drops cause them to constrict. Could there be nerve damage? I am planning to go the optometrist again next week.

Thanks.

Greg
Theresa Jones, RN - Mon May 16, 2005 11:54 am

Hi cuberoot,
My first question for you is how is your vision in that eye, clear, blurred, sensitive to light, etc.? The pilocarpine was likely prescribed to reduce the ocular pressure in the eye. I would relate your symptoms to the injury itself and suspect a possible structural damage rather than the relationship of the eydrops themselves. It's good to know that you are going to have a follow up with the optometrist. Be sure to keep your appointment.