Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Persistant red throat

TonkaExplorer - Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:57 pm

I had several unfortunate events of flu earlier this year. I don't know if it is related, but about 2 month ago, I start to get pain on one side of my throat. ENT doc saw it several times. He couldn't see anything but a red throat. I took anti-biotics three times. The pain lasted a couple of weeks. After that, I feel slight itchiness at that spot. More importantly, it irritates sometimes when I drink cold soda or when I talk. It feels like there is a spot down my throat that is very sensitive. Again, all the doctor can see from naked eye is a red throat. And the throat has been red for a couple of month. Is this anything serious? I had a swab and blood count. Nothing bad in the report.

Thanks.
Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:46 pm

Dear TonkaExplorer,
Most cases of sore throat are due to viral infection e. g. as part of flu and cold attack. Bacterial infections on the other hand represent a smaller number of cases. Usually there are other associated symptoms and signs that can point to the possible causative agent. Viral induced sore throat usually subsides in week with rest and plenty fluid intake.
Experts says that a sore throat that lasts for longer than a week is often caused by allergies, or exposure to humidity, smoking, irritation from heating and cooling systems. Repeated pharyngitis can also happen seasonally or all year long most commonly due to allergies and in this case usually the allergic individual wake up early in the morning with sore throat.
You better try to avoid exposing yourself to any precipitating factor like cold drinks, smoking etc.
A sore throat that does not improve or repeated with a short period of time should be investigated properly. By complete history and proper examination your physician can evaluate the cause of this recurrent sore throat and recommend treatment. Keep on follow up with your doctor.