Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: sore throat abnormal tonsil?

brigette - Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:07 am

Hi, this is my first post, so I hope it works!! Fist off I have been going to an ent for a problem with my throat since jan. I started with a sinus infection at end of Dec., had to take Amoxil to get rid of it. Then about 2 weeks later I still had a sore throat, but noticed my right tonsil appeared larger and redder than normal. I suffered a couple of days waited for it to go away. This was the kind of sore throat tha hurts to even open your mouth. I finally looked and saw some nice white spots on the tonsil. Finally got to see Ent. Not strep either. ent did full throat culture and started me on clindamycin. bad Antibiotic, suffered through Diarrhea and sick stomach 10 days. back to ent still looks the same, he said, still have pus draining from tonsil(GROSS) still swollen and red, try some Biaxin XL. In the meantime I forgot to mention that I started to have some major Anxiety about various other symptoms I was experiencing at the same time. Insomnia, hot flashes, and this persistant vaginal fissure. Went to Gyno he found nothing, not even anything wierd with estrogen. Now the tonsil is still red smooth enlarged(small kidney bean sized) and there is a new dark red spot just above it the size of an eraser on the back of the soft palate area. The biaxin I finished, but it made me sicker than the clindamycin. I've been told that will kill anything bacterial. I went back to ent, told him I did not want to take any more Antibiotics without getting a clear visual or something specific that we were trying to overcome. No more without an answer to this problem. He told me that he does'nt investigate until after the tonsils are out & then the pathologist will give their findings. I think that there should be some other method that a naked eye and tongue depressor to look into this problem. He said let's take them out then. I said let's check back in a month. I go see another doctor at the end of the month. Is ther anything else I should be looking at? Thanks for any reply, brigette
Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:51 pm

Hi Bridget

Are you having any other symptoms? Extreme fatigue, excessive thirst, are the hot flashes during your period? Nausea/vomiting? Frequent sinusitis? Always having a hard time getting rid of them even with Antibiotics?

Is there any change in your skin color?
NikkyLeClair - Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:21 pm

I would see another ENT. I work for an ENT, and he does biopsies on the tonsil here in the office if necessary. To me, this sounds like a peritonsillar abscess, especially if it is only effecting one tonsil, however there are other things like malignancy which need to be ruled out. Until the acute infection is gone, you shouldn't have your tonsils out. Of course, I'm not a doctor, and I haven't seen your throat.

Nikky, MA