The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: white ? in the back of my throat

Suzanne_Michelle - Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:14 am

Bill or Anyone who can answer my question,
The back fo my throat is sore more so on the right side. There are also these white smelly things back there hidden in a fold in the back of my throat on both the right and left sids. I actually used a flashlight to see, and a Q-tip to get them out. What in the world are they? I remember seeing these in the back of my throat before. Tonight there were a lot in there, and I was able to get many out. Do they serve a purpose?

Hoping you can answer my question and thanks for your time.
Suzanne
matthew111 - Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:21 pm

I used to have these about 3 years ago and they would come and go. Sometimes I could actually get them out of the back of my throat. When I did they were really smelly. I am not certain but maybe it is bacteria? Food? I can't say and be certain but try and gargle and/or drink some "Green Tea" to kill anything bad that might be at the back of your throat causing this.

It actually looks like its come out of the throat right? It sounds the same as I had. I went to the doctor and he said its nothing really.
NikkyLeClair - Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:23 pm

White in mouth/throat could also be thrush, for which you should be treated with something like mycostatin.

Nikky, MA