Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Cold or something else?? Need to see the Dr ASAP???

tlbuster - Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:00 pm

10 days ago I started to lose my voice and chalked it up to allergies. 8 days ago I had a severe sore throat, no voice, but no Fever or real redness in my throat.

From then on I've had enlarged tonsils, thick yellowey green drainage in my throat and when I wake up in the morning my left eye is sealed shut with green mucous and my eye is red (but not really Itchy like when I've had pink eye in the past). The redness clears up during the day but the eye still remains glassy looking and feels extra dry. My left ear has a lot of pressure and that left tonsil hurts.

When I Cough it is chunky, but because I have an autoimmune disease that leaves me pretty dry I can never Cough anything up and out.

I don't have enough money to go to the doctor if this is something that could go away with enough time (viral--drink plenty of fluids and get rest diagnosis), so I'm looking for advice as to what I should do.
Shannon Morgan, CMA - Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:48 pm

It could have started out as a viral infection, but these can spread to sinuses and ears very easily and cause infection. You probably do have pink eye, it doesn't have to Itch. These problems are not going to go away.

If you are taking Prednisone, your immune system can be compromised and unable to fight off infections normally.

You really do need a doctor asap.