The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Student Topics

Question: Tattoos and Professionalism

x0x011 - Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:06 am

Currently I'm a studying to become a sonographer, and eventually an MRI tech. I had questions about how professionals in the medical field look at tattoos on workers. I was thinking about getting a small tattoo on my wrist but I was wondering how this would affect my career, as any tattoo would in a professional field. I was also wondering what kind of affects an MRI has on tattoos, on both the tech and the patient?
Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:15 pm

If you do get a tatoo, make sure it is not visible to other people. Do not get one around the hands - you will not be taken as seriously, and may find it hard to find employment at better offices.

The ink has no bearing on MRI. Latest studies done even on totally tatooed bodies did confirm the safety of the inks used now.