Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Ear Popping w/ Dizziness Thereafter

deenosaur - Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:04 pm

Hello Doctor,

Just a couple of days ago, while clearing my nose in the bath, there was a loud single "POP" in my right ear. Immediately after, I lost the hearing of high frequencies and sounds were very muffled. I was hearing through my head, not my ear. At almost the same time, I almost lost my balance and fell. I got worried, The condition did not recover to normality till at least 6 hours.

Thinking it was ok and isolated, just yesterday, I was in the shower again and I experienced the same thing - including the lost of balance!

Each time, there is no pain, just the uncomfortable and "alarming" dizziness and deafness.

Now, everytime, I need to blow my nose, though carefully, I can hear my ear near "POPPING".

Please advise if its normal or if I need to seek immediate medical attention.

Thank you.
souvik - Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:33 pm

Go and visit an ENT specialist immediately. You need to have an otoscpy done which is an examination of the structures inside yur ear which seems t have been damaged judging from your history.