Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Becoming a Medical Student

Question: Humanitarian Work

med-geek - Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:51 pm

Hi!
I have seen the commercials and have looked at the websites for aid agencies like Doctors Without Borders. In what field would these doctors specialize, to be able to do this work?

Thanks
Kim RN - Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:39 am

Hi med-geek,

Think about what you'd see when going to a third world country where health care is substandard or non-existent. People may need corrective surgery for a birth defect, or they've had devastating injuries that need intervention. Older folks have cataracts and think they're blind. Dental hygiene is often poor. Ear infections, Diarrhea, communicable diseases, obstetrical/gynecological issues, heart disease, immunizations... The list is endless.

I imagine that ANY specialty would be useful. Were you thinking of specializing in something with the purpose of serving in this capacity?? That would be wonderful... I would think that if you email one of these agencies, they'd be happy to give you advice.

Good luck... and if you find something out, let me know. I'm curious now! :D

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us