Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Music's effect on the eardrum

Sweetlildragonette - Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:33 pm

I've another ear infection and it itches like hell, but I've found that if I put my earphones on and play music with a reasonable amount of bass in it, the vibrations massage my eardrum and it doesn't Itch or hurt as badly. Usually by now I'd be laying down, groaning and growling and scratching at my ear like a cat with earmites, but this REALLY helps. I know the old saying, "If it feels good, do it" but is it alright for my hearing and should I continue this?
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:59 pm

No I don't think its a good idea to continue this especially in your condition since you have 25% hearing loss in one ear it may lead to its increase especially if too loud.