The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Bumps in the back of my throat

Patrick - Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:16 am

While looking at my tonsils in the mirror the other day, I noticed a few white to flesh coloured bumps on the way back of my throat (past my tonsils). Could it be Lymph nodes? Are there Lymph nodes there? I have sneezed a bit on and off the past few days. I was looking up photos on the internet and now I'm concerned it could be HPV. Is it possible?
Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:15 pm

Dear Patrick,

Have you been recovering from any health problems? Do you have pain, difficlu swallowing?

White spots are usually of purulent exudate (pus).
White lesions on the tonsil or on the throat , are most probably due to either an infection with a bacteria named group A streptococci or a virus Epstein-Barr virus (EBV).

These conditions are usually associated with Fever, and in the case of the bacterial infection, obviously a coarse of Antibiotic would help in treating the condition. In the case of streptococcal infection, a simple throat swab and culture would define the causative agent.

Exudative pharyngitis due to EBV is usually confusing with group A streptococcal pharyngitis, to add more difficulty in the diagnosis concomitant infection of both agents occurs in 30% of people. Sore throat, perhaps a strep throat that doesn't get better with Antibiotics is due to EBV infection.

However other physical and clinical signs are characteristic to EBV infection would help the physician to differentiate between these two causes. Moreover, specific serological tests,(detection of antigens and or antibodies to a specific antigen from the infecting agent like as the monospot and heterophile antibody tests can help in the diagnosis of CMV infections.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor.
fotogrph04 - Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:14 am

When I was brushing my teeth one day I noticed white bumps on the back of my tongue. I had eaten a lot of garlic the day before and I don't know if that has anything to do with it. They are white bumps on my tongue. What could it be?
Dr. Tino Anthony Solomon - Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:38 pm

Hello there,

Please give us more specific information about these bumps and yourself. How old are you? Are you on any medication? When did you first notice them and are they causing any swallowing pain and or difficulty? How many are there? Do you have any lesions anywhere on your body? Do you suffer from any other medical conditions and are you currently well?

Kind regards,

Dr. Tino Solomon
BSc(Hons) MBBS
Senior House Officer in Surgey