Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: help with a question regarding check-up fees

jiu66 - Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:57 am


My father, who is approaching his seventies, is visiting me on a Visitors visa now. Over the past couple of months he experienced recurring hoarseness in his voice. I checked on the web trying to find out whats wrong with him, and was frightened by the possibility that he might suffer throat cancer since my father have been a heavy drinker most of his life. I know I should take him to a physician for a thorough check-up as soon as possible. But since he only has a visitors insurance, which does not cover anything considered as a pre-exiting condition. I am wondering if anybody can tell me whether American physicians ever accept patients without proper health insurance, and if they do, how much I should expect to pay for an accurate diagnosis of my fathers throat problem at a physicians office?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:05 pm

Hi jiu66,
My understanding of a pre-existing condition is a medical condition in which advisement, diagnosis, or treatment has been rendered by a medical professional within approximately the last six months. If you father has not previously been treated for a condition it should not be categorized as a pre-existing illness. My suggestion to you would be call the (800) number which should be located on the back of the card and inquire what's their definition of a pre-existing condition. As for physician's offices, many will arrange a payment plan when no insurance etc. is available.
jiu66 - Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:13 am

Hi Rntdj,

Thank you so much for your generous help. I'll follow your advice and make some inquries.

Thanks again,



Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us