The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Becoming a Medical Student

Question: high school senior needing help

Wannabadr - Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:31 am

Hey all!
I am currently a high school senior and I have a strong interest in becoming a pediatrician. The problem is, I have absolutely no idea where to even begin! I just have a few questions that maybe someone could help me answer. And if there is a pediatrician logged on, I'd appreciate it so much if he/she could give me advice on where to start!

*Does the undergraduate school that I chose matter that much?
*What courses, besides pre med, should I take in undergraduate school?
*Are there colleges with "Pediatrican classes" so to say, and if so, where can I learn more about them?
*When should I start looking at medical schools?
*Where, on the east coast, would you recommend an undergraduate and medical program?

Any other information you are willing to give will be so greatly appreciated! Thank you so much and God bless.

:P
Web-Medic - Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:16 am

I'm not a Pediatrician but I think this may help you find some information, The American Academy of Pediatrics offers good advice to students considering a career in the field of pediatrics, congratulations.

Here is a basic timeline of what you will be doing on your journey to become a Pediatrician: It will be even longer if you want to specialize in a specific area.

High School
College (4 years)
Medical School (4 years)
Pediatric Internship (1 year)
Pediatric Residency (2 years)
Pediatric Specialized field