Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Nose Problems

Lil Kis - Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:32 am

Ok I have been experiencing many problems with my nose.....

1st~my nose bleeds. Either when I try to blow my nose or pick my snot out with tissue it bleeds. I would like to know why my nose does this a lot and why?

2nd~ I have unusualy shaped buggers in my nose. And when I wake up in the morning I have tons of snot and buggers in my nose. Too much my nose always feels stuffed with them. This has been going on for maybe 4 years now? When I try to get them out my nose sometimes my nose bleeds. I would like to know the problem for this.

thanks for answering
Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:21 pm

Dear Lil Kis,

The nose is is very rich in blood vessels (vascular) and is highly exposed to trauma resulting in bleeding of various severity.

Bloody discharge can occur spontaneously when the nasal mucosa is dry out, crust, most commonly due to local causes.

The condition tends to be more in susceptible with higher bleeding tendency due to e. g. medications like some Analgesics. Other who are liable for repeated infections, allergic and non-allergic rhinitis, and alcoholics.

In all chronic cases Hypertension and bleeding disorders should be excluded. Wegener's granulomatosis is not a common disorder due to inflammation of small arteries and veins (vasculitis), can also cause nasal bleeding.

Stuffed nose causes can be identified when other symptoms exist.
Common causes of chronic stuffy nose include:
- Allergic rhinitis: there is sneezing, nasal discharge, or blocked nose
- Chronic sinusitis: there is nasal discharge which is usually dark and of bad odor, sneezing, runny
- Adenoid conditions there is mainly blocked nose and nasal discharge
- Adenoiditis nasal discharge may be of bad odor
- Vasomotor rhinitis sneezing, , profuse watery nasal discharge, recurrent inflammation
- Nasal polyp causes :dysphonia, nasal discharge, and anosmia

All causes that result in chronic irritation of the nasal mucosa can produce bloody mixed discharge due to mucosa damage.
ENT examination is essential.

Hope you find this information useful,
Keep us updated.