The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Sports medicine

Question: Working out first thing in the morning

SmashbrothaX - Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:50 pm

Hi everyone. I been having a problem with "waking up" in the morning. I have no problem getting up with my alarm, but I'm very tired for most of the morning (even after drinking coffee/tea). So, I've been thinking about working out in the morning, wondering if that will help. I'm just interested in what the pros/cons are in working out after working out/before breakfast. Thanks!
Shannon Morgan, CMA - Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:01 pm

Working out in the morning is recommended after eating. There is no ready fuel to supply energy for the body to work. The old thinking was that since there was little to no Blood sugar, it would burn fat. Not true. The body always burns any type of sugar it can get first, which in that case would be glycogen which is stored in the muscles. Therefore, it burns muscle, and weaken you, the opposite of what you want! Only when it burns the muscle free of any sugar will it burn fat. It is best to fuel the body with "good" carbs 30-60 minutes before you exercise. Good carbs are whole grains, whole wheat bread, plain oatmeal, no sugar (the best option) or whole grain cereal, which is the last, because there is always added sugar. Make sure you get protein with it (2 eggs are good, or egg substitute for less Cholesterol) or cottage cheese, and some juice (not from concentrate).

After a while doing this regularly (take two days off per week, your muscles need recovery time), your metabolism will move faster and burn fat. Do not expect results right away and do not skip meals, it will slow your metabolism.

I hope that helps! :D