Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Throat Pain / Swallowing

TexanRick - Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:32 pm

Hello. Please advise me. I have had a sharp pain in my throat for about 5 days, but doesn't feel like strept throat. It is painful to touch, but not too painful to swallow. I had UPP surgery for snoring about four years ago so I have no tonsils. The pain is four fingers from the voice box on my left side.(thing that moves up and down when you swallow).

Symptoms:
1. Sharp pain four fingers to the left side of voice box (larynx).

2. Mild Fever. It is 99. 0.

3. Mild Headaches at temple come and go, lasting a few seconds.

4. Worse at night when I sleep, I feel ears getting plugged. Mild ear ache on left side.

5. Worse when I turn head to right and swallow.

6. When I swallow with head straight, virtually no pain.

7. When I walk in dress shoes, every step causes a pain in the throat area.

8. No congestion. No nasal drips. No Coughing. No phlegm.

What could it be? Is it the thyroid gland? Or is it the esophogus? Wouldn't a viral or bacterial infection be accompanied by Fever and congestion. I have no congestion.

Please help.
Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:03 am

Dear TexanRick,

Most cases of sore throat are due to viral infection e. g. as part of flu and cold attack. Bacterial infections on the other hand represent a smaller number of cases. Usually there are other associated symptoms and signs that can point to the possible causative agent.
Viral induced sore throat usually subsides in week with rest and plenty fluid intake. Bacterial infections (group A streptococci is the commonest) causing sore throat need to be treated with Antibiotics.
Infectious Mononucleosis is a type of virus EBV induced sore throat that lead to recurrent sore throat with swollen tonsils and Lymph nodes in addition to other specific symptoms and signs. Streptococcal pharyngitis and EBV infection are usually difficult to be differentiated.

Experts says that a sore throat that lasts for longer than a week is often caused by allergies, or exposure to humidity, smoking, irritation from heating and cooling systems.

Repeated pharyngitis can also happen seasonally or all year long most commonly due to allergies and in this case usually the allergic individual wake up early in the morning with sore throat.

A sore throat that doesn’t improve or repeated with a short period of time should be investigated properly.
By complete history and proper examination your physician can evaluate the cause of this recurrent sore throat and recommend treatment.

Best Regards,