The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Nutrition & Diet

Question: rapid weight loss

felix_grrrr - Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:09 pm

I've been vegan since mid march. I don't take vitamins, but I've been trying to eat as healthy as possable. I droped from 20 pounds in the last two months, and I lost 5 pounds since either yeasterday or the day before. I don't think this is healthy, but I don't really know.
Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:53 pm

It is not possible to lose 5 pounds of fat in 1-2 days. Most likely it is water. It's normal to fluctuate a couple of pounds or morel. Drink plenty of water to avoid that, it can greatly upset the balance of electrolytes wich are vital to heart, muscle and brain function. If it doesn't come back at least a couple of pounds, see a doctor. Rapid weight loss is very unhealthy, and a vegan diet is a great challenge to get enough protein and iron, not to mention the other vitamins and minerals. It would be a good idea to take a one a day multivitamin.
jenner - Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:51 am

Just keep in mind that 1lb fat = approximately 3, 500 Calories... so unless you have expended 17, 500 Calories MORE than you've consumed in the 2 days, it is most likely fluid shift...