Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Gag reflex has gone crazy all of a sudden o_O

VLizbethV - Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:17 pm

Hi! I was hoping you could help me :-)
I just returned from a happy vacation, however happy it was very stressful on me. Since this past Thursday June 30th, I have been waking up with a very very strong gag reflex unexplicably! It wanes off and on during the day. At 7-9pm it disappears and I am my "old self" again.
The mere thought of food also makes me want to gag. I have not gotten sick so far and have managed to stop the gag reflex with every ounce of willpower. However this is no life for me and my quality of life has gone to 0.
Could it be nerves? What is causing my overactive gagging reflex in the mornings, and when I think about eating/food. ((I ate like a horse until Thursday)).
Also, my stomache itself feels hungry and even rumbles, and I almost always feel hungry right after I eat... perhaps its just acid 'warming up' my stomache making me think I feel hungry?
ANY suggestions would be great!!
Thank you!!
Sammy
Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:52 am

Hi VLizbethV,
Stress or stressful situations tha cause increased Anxiety may produce a number of symptoms including difficulty swallowing or a "gagging" reflex. However, esophageal disorders, hiatal hernias, GERD, etc., may produce these symptoms as well. I would suggest an evaluation by your physician to identify the causative factor.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us