The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Becoming a Medical Student

Question: Is it really that hard???

StillNotThere - Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:16 pm

I've been interested in becoming a physician for some time now (family practice or emergency medicine in particular), I'm currently in high school, and in all the article's I've read on the subject of becoming one, I consistently read on how hard the process is.

I was just wondering this simple question. How?

Is it the intense studying you must do in medical school, or the rigorous hours in residency? Is it the constant pressure of malpractice, or the difficulty of the subject?

Just wondering on this matter, and if anyone who has gone through this can give an aspiring physician some insight, I'd appreciate it.

Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:14 am

Well you pretty much summed it all up. It's all these causes I guess. You don't stop reading and learning. The questions is: Is it worth it? And I don't mean financially. If you like helping people, if you like the intellectual challenge that you face with every case, then nothing could be better.
Marwan Azar - Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:31 am

Well I'm in no position to say whether medicine as a career is hard or not since I'm just beginning my first year at med school but I would think that its more the time consuming aspect rather than the difficulty per say that is hard to overcome. Dr. Fouad would you agree? All I can say is that medicine is pretty challenging and the load is unparralleled but in terms of pure practice and theory, other disciplines such as space physics (yes, rocket science!) or mathermatical biology seem harder to assimilate.
lars1297 - Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:44 pm

In addition to all the previous posts...
I am a second year med student and like everyone said..its a challenge in every way you mentioned...but if you are determined, dedicated and love what you are doing... you can do it.
The analogy I've always heard is that the med school material is difficult but not impossible...its just that there's so much of it coming at you at one time. Its alot like trying to drink water from a fire hydrant... :D