The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Back of my tongue is soar

kayber76 - Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:47 am

For the last six months I've had this strange soarness in the back of my tongue. It seems to ache, my jaw, my throat, my tongue, sometimes it moves around the back of my head and forehead. I went to a doctor but they tested me for sinus issues and said that my sinus's shouldnt' be doing it.

I have some wisdom teeth that seems fully out but I cant see why they would be making my tongue so soar that I can't even sleep :(

Should I go see a dentist or a throat doctor? Problem is I'm lacking dental insurance so I"m not sure what to do. Its driving me crazy though, its not pain, its aching and soarness. My tongue feels very numb right now, its hard to talk and move it around.
rudiegrl19 - Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:41 am

I am having the EXACT same symptoms as you! I don't know what I should do either! About a month ago I had a sore throat, swollen glands, was tired, and nasal congestion. Dr. did a strep test in the office and it was negative, but she gave me Zithromax(3day dose). I went on vacation but after a week, I still didn't feel better. Went back to the Dr. and this time did a strep test that was sent out to the lab. Test came back saying I did not have strep, but had another kind of bacteria. Was put on Zithromax for 7 day dose. Now I still have a sore throat, and swollen glands, but it seems to be related to my tongue. It almost feels like a pulled muscle when I move my tongue in my mouth. It seems to act up pretty bad the day after I've had a couple of alcoholic beverages. I still have a dry Cough/tickle in the throat that comes and goes. I just wish I knew what the deal was with the sore tongue.
rudiegrl19 - Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:42 am

p. s. I have never had my wisdom teeth out. don't know if that has anything to do with it.
rudiegrl19 - Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:45 am

p. p. s. it also hurts to talk...to make my tongue move.