Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: lost voice and worse!

speechless - Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:39 am

I started losing my voice this past Sunday, and now it's completely gone, but that's not my biggest concern.

This morning when I woke up I couphed, and actually couphed up this horrible stuff. It was like a turquoise/more towards green colour, but it was a paste-like substance, rather than the usual slimey kind of phlem people normally couph up. It scared the cr@p out of me, and I wondered if anyone had heard of this before? The bit that came out was probably about an inch long, and looked a bit like someone had squirted an inch of toothpaste on my hand (where it landed). (Sorry to gross everyone out!!)

I do smoke, but have never really suffered any breathing/couphing synmptoms due to my smoking. I'm not in denial here, if this sounds like something serious due to that I need to know.

I also sprayed a can of flea killer in a hurry on Saturday, and didn't bother wearing any PPE over my mouth. Could this have done this???

Any help would be appreciated!
Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:51 pm

Dear speechless,

You have to request an ENT consultation (Ear, Nose and throat)....to have a look at your vocal cords and determine what's the cause of your voice being lost.

Then they definately should do a sputum culture and senstivity + Cytology for as soon as possible to properly diagnose your condition.

Don't delay that! I cannot start giving you theories without proven laboratory work up.

Best regards,

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us