The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Primary Care Answers List

Forum Name: Eye diseases (Ophthalmology)

Question: teary eyes

feather - Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:48 pm

My eyes get teary so easily when I start to laugh, even a soft laugh. I've had this for a few years now. I went to see an eye doctor. He said my eyes were OK. What should I do?
Dr. Russell M - Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:55 am

Hi!

Does it Itch in your eyes? Do you have dandruff? Some people do have watery eyes often without any cause. If it is of not much significance you might want to try putting it in the ignore mode.

-Bill
a_medico - Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:29 am

feather wrote:
My eyes get teary so easily when I start to laugh, even a soft laugh. I've had this for a few years now. I went to see an eye doctor. He said my eyes were OK. What should I do?

feather,

ideally u need to do a procedure called sac syringing after visiting an ophthalmologist..in which they push a liquid in lower punctum(punctum-hole in inner corner of lower lid)...u feel that liquid in your throat....this confirms the duct carrying tears from eye to nose is patent......
if ducts of both eyes are normal, tears are just due to overproduction as a result of autonomic overactivity which is related with emotions and tear productions. u need not worry in this case.

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us