Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Ear Nose and Throat

Question: Ringing ears and nose block

karen78 - Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:20 pm

Hi there,

I am always having ringing in the both ears. And unable to listen clearly for a while. It will be gone in few second. Sometimes, when I do not have ringing in my ears, the sound which come from very near distance can make me hear as it was very far from me. Recently, I always have this ringing in the ears compared with last time. And I feel that my hearing is a bit worst. I do not know wat's the matter. :(

My nose always block when each time I wake up in the morning. It will be ok later, ie 30 minutes later. Is there anything wrong with my nose?

Please advise.

Thanks.
md_2oo4 - Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:41 am

Hello Karen78,

From what you have posted, the ringing may be secondary to your congested nose and (most likely you may be having frequent attacks of allergic rhinitis. Because of this attacks, secretions coming from your nasopharynx may go into your eustachian tubes (tubes interconnecting your ears and pahrygeal areas) or when you sneeze or blow your nose, pressures within may alter, sometimes you may hear popping sound within your ears aside from ringing sensation. Ringing may also occur as one ages (particularly in the elderly age group - but the cause of this is entirely different from your case).

For your condition though, you may take OTC oral decongestants particularly those medications containing phenylpropanolamine HCL and Chlorpheniramine maleate 3x a day for 5 days. If you have any allergic reaction to these medications it is advisable that you see your ENT doctor first.