Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Back to Primary Care Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 9/4/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Student Topics

Question: self-limited diseases

John Hart - Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:08 pm

I would like to poll the medical and osteopathic physicians on board here, and ask what the term "self-limited disease" means to them. Does it mean any of the following?

A. a disease that generally will go away on its own and therefore generally does not require treatment.

B. a disease that generally will go away on its own but treatment may speed up the recovery.

C. a disease that is unaffected by treatment and may or may not go away on its own.

Thank you for your time!

John Hart, D. C.
jhartdc@yahoo. com
Dr. Russell M - Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:43 pm

Hi!

I would go for B. But I could be wrong. Do you know the right answer?
John Hart - Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:29 am

Bill,

I don't know the correct answer. I also thought it was answer "B" but I've heard it defined differently from different sources.

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us