The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Student Topics

Question: self-limited diseases

John Hart - Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:08 pm

I would like to poll the medical and osteopathic physicians on board here, and ask what the term "self-limited disease" means to them. Does it mean any of the following?

A. a disease that generally will go away on its own and therefore generally does not require treatment.

B. a disease that generally will go away on its own but treatment may speed up the recovery.

C. a disease that is unaffected by treatment and may or may not go away on its own.

Thank you for your time!

John Hart, D. C.
jhartdc@yahoo. com
Dr. Russell M - Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:43 pm

Hi!

I would go for B. But I could be wrong. Do you know the right answer?
John Hart - Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:29 am

Bill,

I don't know the correct answer. I also thought it was answer "B" but I've heard it defined differently from different sources.