Medical Specialty >> Primary Care

Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Nutrition & Diet

Question: What should I weigh?

AngieA - Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:16 am

So I have question.
I am 19 yrs old and 5' 7'' and I am concerned about my weight, I am 158lbs. Help me please. I am scared! what shoudl I weigh? How do I know if I am fat? How do I eat right? Some of my friends are the same height but they only weigh about 140 or like my roomates...110 and they are taller then me. Well the one that is shorter then me....weighs oooh 98 lbs and she is 5'3''.
Thanks so Much
Angie
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:34 am

Angie,
We already have a nutrition center where you can read about normal healthy eating and obesity in addition to a review of various weight loss techniques.

Click here!

You can also calculate your ideal body weight yourself by using our online calculator:

Click here!
Best regards
Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:20 pm

Dear Angie,

Your ideal body weight is around 136 pounds. Your body mass index is normal though which is the defining derteminant of being an obese person.

I guess you could lose a few pounds, but I think you are doing ok.

You're 19 and I hope that you are active and exercising on regular basis. It is recommended that you watch your weight and eat healthy. There is no need to push yourself to weigh less than your friends, it is not a competition. All you have to do is make sure that you eat healthy, exercise and watch your weight.

The online calculator link is here!

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge. com and I hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M. D.
AngieA - Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:25 am

What is lean body wieght?
Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:36 pm

it refers to the sum of the weight of your bones, muscles and organs... I. e. the sum of everything other than fat in your body. Some medical formulas use lean body mass for various calculations of organ function and medication doses. But it should have no concern to you.

You may wonder why your lean body mass goes up, as your weight goes up, even though your height is unchanged. The reason is that the skeletal muscle mass tends to increase as body fat increases. The body adapts to increased body weight (fat) through increasing muscle bulk.