The Doctors Lounge - Primary Care Answers

Forum Name: Eye diseases (Ophthalmology)

Question: Right eye suddenly fully dilated

Berad - Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:39 pm

Please Help. I've read the above and would greatly appreciate some clarification. My wifes right eye suddenly fully dilated 3 hours ago. She has blue eyes and you can no longer see the blue.

She has Lupus. She wears contacts.

What happened: She felt like she had something in her eye and itched it. Her vision in that eye went blury. She bunched up the contact when she itched and had to remove it. Cleaned it with Visine because she didn't have any solution, and put it back in. It still itched so she came to me. That's when I noticed that her right eye was dilated. Is there anything wrong? Should we worry? I know Lupus can cause a varied range of problems, but is this one?

Thank You
Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:20 am

Dear Berad,

Your wife has to be evaluated immediately by a health care professional preferrably a neurologist or an ophthamologist. Please, take her to the nearest emergency room as soon as possible,

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge. com

Yasser Mokhtar, M. D.