Brand Name: Effexor XR
Pregnancy Category C
Drug classes of Effexor
Mechanism of action of Effexor
Acts as an antidepressant by inhibiting CNS neuronal uptake of serotonin; blocks uptake of serotonin and norepinephrine with a weak inhibitory effect on dopamine reuptake.
Indications of Effexor
Contraindications of Effexor
- Hypersensitivity to Effexor or any component of the formulation.
- Should not be taken concurrently with MAO inhibitors. MAO inhibitors can only be initiated 7 days after discontinuation of serotonin reuptake inhibitors.
Adverse Reactionsof Effexor
- CNS: Headache, somnolence, dizziness, insomnia, nervousness.
- GIT: Nausea, xerostomia, constipation, anorexia.
- Genitourinary: Abnormal ejaculation / orgasm.
- Neuromuscular & skeletal: weakness.
- Other: diaphoresis
Overdosage of Effexor
Toxicity from the drug is not lethal & can be tolerated with supportive therapy.
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community
Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.
Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.