Brand Name: Prozac
Name: Fluoxetine hydrochloride
Pregnancy Category C
Drug classes of Prozac
Mechanism of action of Prozac
Acts by inhibiting CNS neuronal uptake of serotonin leading to increased levels of serotonin in the brain. It has little effect on norepinephrine and dopamine.
Indications of Prozac
Treatment of depression; most effective in patients with major depressive disorder
Contraindications of Prozac
Concomitant use in patients taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) is contraindicated.
Contraindicated in the presence of hypersensitivity to Prozac; pregnancy.
Adverse effectsof Prozac
- CNS: Headache, nervousness, insomnia, drowsiness, anxiety, tremor, dizziness, lightheadedness, agitation, sedation, abnormal gait, convulsions
- GI: Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dry mouth, anorexia, dyspepsia, constipation, taste changes, flatulence, gastroenteritis, dysphagia, gingivitis
- CV: Hot flashes, palpitations
- Respiratory: Upper respiratory infections, pharyngitis, cough, dyspnea, bronchitis, rhinitis
- GU: Painful menstruation, sexual dysfunction, frequency, cystitis, impotence, urgency, vaginitis
- Dermatologic: Sweating, rash, pruritus, acne, alopecia, contact dermatitis
- Other: Weight loss, asthenia, fever
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community
Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.
Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.