Brand Name: Sarafem
Name: Fluoxetine hydrochloride
Pregnancy Category C
Drug classes of Sarafem
Mechanism of action of Sarafem
Acts by inhibiting CNS neuronal uptake of serotonin leading to increased levels of serotonin in the brain. It has little effect on norepinephrine and dopamine.
Indications of Sarafem
Treatment of depression; most effective in patients with major depressive disorder
Contraindications of Sarafem
Concomitant use in patients taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) is contraindicated.
Contraindicated in the presence of hypersensitivity to Sarafem; pregnancy.
Adverse effectsof Sarafem
- CNS: Headache, nervousness, insomnia, drowsiness, anxiety, tremor, dizziness, lightheadedness, agitation, sedation, abnormal gait, convulsions
- GI: Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dry mouth, anorexia, dyspepsia, constipation, taste changes, flatulence, gastroenteritis, dysphagia, gingivitis
- CV: Hot flushes, palpitations
- Respiratory: Upper respiratory infections, pharyngitis, cough, dyspnea, bronchitis, rhinitis
- GU: Painful menstruation, sexual dysfunction, frequency, cystitis, impotence, urgency, vaginitis
- Dermatologic: Sweating, rash, pruritus, acne, alopecia, contact dermatitis
- Other: Weight loss, asthenia, fever
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community
Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.
Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.