Pregnancy Category C
Mechanism of action of Venlafaxine
Acts as an antidepressant by inhibiting CNS neuronal uptake of serotonin; blocks uptake of serotonin and norepinephrine with a weak inhibitory effect on dopamine reuptake.
Indications of Venlafaxine
Contraindications of Venlafaxine
- Hypersensitivity to venlafaxine or any component of the formulation.
- Should not be taken concurrently with MAO inhibitors. MAO inhibitors can only be initiated 7 days after discontinuation of serotonin reuptake inhibitors.
Adverse Reactionsof Venlafaxine
- CNS: Headache, somnolence, dizziness, insomnia, nervousness.
- GIT: Nausea, xerostomia, constipation, anorexia.
- Genitourinary: Abnormal ejaculation / orgasm.
- Neuromuscular & skeletal: weakness.
- Other: diaphoresis
Toxicity from the drug is not lethal & can be tolerated with supportive therapy.