Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: I've problem with intercourse.... Help!

 jilloo - Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:30 pm

I'm afraid to have intercourse with my husband and he understands my fear,..i know its nothing to worry...i prepare myselves in the afternoon for having sex at night, but when my husband comes near me my fear starts turning up and it stops me from having sexual intercourse with him.....i don't know what to do...this is my only problem.....otherwise i'm alright....i'm afraid of the pain which occurs during intercourse.....i know its natural but fear s also natural....pls help me tto overcome my fear...thank u...
 jellyfishattack - Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:58 pm

User avatar Is the pain you feel during intercourse your husband's problem? If you are physically normal, your huband should be getting you lubricated by tongue hands, etc. If he doesn't do that or if he doesn't spend enough time doing that - then sex will hurt. Just remember, ladies first!
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:41 pm

User avatar I would first suggest being evaluated by a gynecologist to determine the cause of the pain you feel during intercourse before attempting hypnotherapy. You need to be seen and all physical problems ruled out before evaluating psychological issues.
 forgetthealamo - Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:52 am

I agree with Shana. Sometimes something like a yeast infection or bacterial vaginosis can cause pain during sex. I'm sure having sex while you're tense and afraid doesn't help matters.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:49 pm

User avatar Dear jilloo:

You've been given excellent advice by Shana. I only wish to add that when other physical problems have been ruled out, pain during sex is called dyspareunia.

There are many conditions which can lead to dyspareunia, and the good new is that this disorder can be treated.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us