Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Evidence for effectiveness of brain entrainment techniques

clarence - Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:09 am

Is there any evidence about the effectiveness of brain entrainment? :) I have downloaded a program titled "Brainwave Generator" which generates binaural beat frequencies. It claims to "... stimulate your brain to make yourself relaxed, help in meditation or self-hypnosis, enhance learning capabilities, induce sleep, help focusing attention, and so on." It claims to entrain your brain state from one state (e.g. alpha, beta) to another using binaural beats. I listened to the Schumann Resonance, thought to be used for meditation because it gets you in sync with the "Earth's magnetic field", for 15 mins. and it only gave me a headache. :(

Any response will be greatly appreciated.

Clarence
 sdfirenze - Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:50 pm

How does this program operate? Does it play on your computer? Is it auditory and/or visual?

While I am certainly not an expert on the subject, I do study in the general field of psychology and have not heard of this specific technique. However, if it is giving you a headache, I would suggest you stop using it!! There are many different ways we can "relax" our minds. Traditional meditation has probably been shown to be the most effective. I would also suggest looking into a type of meditation called "mindfulness." It originates from eastern-philosophy, but is currently being used in combination with western techniques such as cognitive-behavioral therapy.

Some other areas to look into would include general relaxation training techniques such as deep-muscle relaxation and so forth.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us