Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Question: Vicodin Addiction

mournlight - Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:05 am

Anon:
You say he can't take time off for rehab. Well, if he doesn't, he'll take the time off permanently. It is his choice. He really can't afford to not go to rehab. If he doesn't go he will lose everything anyway.
You can't do rehab for him, you can't kick his addition, you can't do much about his life at all. What you CAN do is to take care of yourself and your family. So, my suggestion to you is that YOU go to the open Narcotics Anonymous meetings and listen and learn what you can do for yourself, because you have a role in this addiction. He's committing crimes then bringing the stuff back in your house. If you don't do your part, you'll end up in jail with him. Jail can probably handle his withdrawals.
Focus on what you can do - that's all you can control anyway.
Hopefully, he will get into a hospital or rehab for his withdrawals then begin a twelve step life. Encourage him to do that and then you take care of yourself.

anon1965 - Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:23 am

I Thank you very much for your reply, Mournlight. I will do just that. Inform myself, learn how to break the cycle of playing a enabler role. I appreciate your feedback. He's decided he is going to quit cold turkey. He has tried this twice before. He jerks and kicks the covers for several nights. It scares me that it might be too much on him. Damn, Life can be hard!
 anon1965 - Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:09 pm

What do you think of him going to a methodone clinic for help kicking?