Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: other methods of treating depression How do i try these?

 fragile_angel - Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:34 am

I am a 24yr old female, mother of 3. I have had depression for as long as i can remember since i was a child, age 10 diagnosed. However my parents were in the military so i moved so much i never really had any doctor follow my history with depression. Clinical depr runs a history in my family with my dad and grandfather both severly depressed and have had multiple suicidal tendancies as have I. I also with all 3 of my children suffered from post partum. Various dr's have put me on every type of medication over the years I have been on prozac, effexor xr, celexa, wellbutrin, paxil, and currently on zoloft 100mg. However it had made me so drowsy at times i cannot wake up and my children couldnt wake me, this is very dangerous. One doctor in the past had suggested some things i have never tried before, such as shock therapy, light therapy(as I am very nocturnal) and a few others i cannot remember. How do I go about recieving some alternate methods who do i talk to? is it better for my to find a psychiatrist rather than a gp? Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated. I just want to be able to be the best mom I can be and I feel that my depression is greatly affecting my ability to parent. Thank you kindly in advance.
 MaryAnn N, RN - Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:58 am

User avatar Hi Fragile Angle,
Yes in answer to your question your best mode of hooking up with alternative forms of therapy would be by seeing a psychiatrist. Many doctors specialize in certain fields and have the expertise in that area. A psychiatrist may have a medication that may be more effective that you have not tried. Also if need be he can set up those other therapies that you mentioned.

I hope you are feeling better soon and that I have answered your question. Let us know how you are doing and best of luck.

 jellyfishattack - Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:51 am

User avatar hi fragile angle,

You should definitely be seeing a psychiatrist several times a week. GPs are pretty much out of their depth. A proper diagnosis of the type of depression you have actually makes some difference to which antidepressants (usually) might work best for you.

You mentioned that you've been on different antidepressants - but only one at a time and you didn't mention any augmentation. Since you didn't respond to monotherapy, you need to try drug cocktails. You really need a psychiatrist who specializes in tinkering with medication. They're usually in hospital mood disorder clinics. Ask for a referal - don't take no for an answer. It'll help if you've looked up these things on Medline.

In the early 1960s Lithium and T3 (thyroid hormone) were found to both accelerate and potentiate the effect of antidepressants. Recently the new atypical antipsychotics have been found to have a similar effect. But I'd ask to try T3 before lithium and any atypical antipsychotic.

First, you might be put on one antidepressant and an augmenting/potentiating drug. If that fails then you may add another potentiating/augmenting agent. If that fails, you may add another antidepressant.

Side effects might be pretty nasty, but should subside or disappear completely. If you're too tired, you may add Alertec (Modafinil) which is a mild stimulent that is not habit-forming or addictive. It is not related to speed. If you can't sleep, Immovane might be the least habit-forming drug there is.

Don't rule out the RIMAs (reversable inhibitors of monoamine oxidase), they really don't require dietary change. Don't even rule out the old MAOIs.

Home health supply stores seem to carry those lights someone suggested. They certainly can't do any harm (unless you have some sort of eye condition), and even if they do seem cheery.

ECT - I think that should be the last resort, unless you are really going to try to kill yourself.

*** just a disclaimer, I'm not a nurse, physician, pharmacist or psychologist.

I tried 17 different antidepressants one at a time with no result.
 syedhussain - Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:26 am

Dear Ms. Fragile Angle: You have mentioned salient features of the morbidity very well:
1. Having been diagnosed to be suffering from Depression at the age of 10 years.
2. Reportedly having =ve family history of Psychiatiric morbitity.
3. Your 3 offsprings suffered from Post natal Depression.
4. Having been prescribed a list of anti-depressants.
5. Still having symptoms of Depression.
I could request you to kindly consult a competent Psychiatrist, nerrate you entire history, and let the Psychiatrist choose the best path to take care of your sufferings. Thank you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us