Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Lexapro and Calcium Oxalate Stones

Jon1234 - Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:17 am

Hello,
I have just been prescribed Lexapro 10mg for some situational depression. No other meds. I'm a healthy 31 male, but have a Hx of calcium oxalate kidney stones. Given that Lexapro is escitalopram oxalate, is there an increased risk for developing more stones. Primary care doc. hasn't answered this question and a Medline lit. search hasn't revealed anything.
Thanks
Jon
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:23 am

User avatar Dear jon1234

the fact that lexapro is mainly and extensively metabolized in the liver, the amount of the drug excreted unchanged in the urine is very minimal. Therefore, I do not think the drug will cause major problems in your case.

Like you said , your concern has not been desribed in literature. However, if you take a look at the FDA website ( for lexapro), and mainly at the side effects, there is a section of premarketing side effects of lexapro, right at the end, with respect to Urinary System Disorders -
Frequent: urinary frequency, urinary tract infection.
Infrequent:urinary urgency, kidney stone, dysuria, blood in urine.

Like i said, this small section appeared toward the end, it is was very rarely seen, and infrequent.

attached is the web address for your reference, the information i have told you is described at the bottom of page 23 of 28) on that PDF FILE.

thank you very much and have a great day

web site address and pdf file of lexapro at FDA SITE

http://www.fda.gov/cder/foi/label/2003/ ... 20lexapro'

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us