Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: How long does postnatal depression last?

Iman - Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:23 pm

How long does a PND usually last - with anti-depressants or without? I was on anti-depressants for 8 months, then thought it was over, but two months later I had to start taking them again. For how long??
 MaryAnn N, RN - Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:41 am

User avatar Inman it is not so long it lasts normally. There is no normally, everyone is an individual and everyone is different.

If you are not on antidpressants and you are feeling blue more than a couple of weeks, you need to speak to your doctor about treatment. If you have been on an antidepressant for 3-4 weeks and are not feeling any better, it would be best to let your doctor know as that you may need a medication adjustment. Different medications, different doses work different on different people.

Hope this helps answer your questions. I hope that you are feeling better soon.

MaryAnn RN