Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: which ssri has the least insomnia?

ryan1402 - Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:01 pm

Does anyone know which ssri has the least amount of sleep disturbances. Im on effexor right now and it sucks for sleep, I get like 5 hours at the most.....my doc said paxil because i did well on it before but he still didnt say which ssri has the least amount of sleep disturbances???....any help
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:06 am

User avatar Hi ryan1402,
Medication may affect people in different ways. One person may experience an unpleasant side effect while another does not. Insomnia or drowsiness are both a couple of the side effects of Effexor as is most of the SSRI's, ie, Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa, etc. This is probably the reason the physician didn't state which one had the least "sleep disturbance" affect. My question for you, if you were doing well on the Paxil, why was it changed to Effexor? If you physician advises a change in medications, remember that it is suggested when discontinuing Effexor, taper therapy is advised.