Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: reoccurant moodswings/stress

jemima - Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:11 pm

Hi. I am nearly 24 years old, studying in my final term for a commercial music degree, which I don't like, living in a shared house of 6, in which myself and my boyfriend do all the cleaning! Phew!

Ok, so I seem to have these terrible mood swings and it's really getting me down. During these mood swings, I go off sex and off my boyfriend, I get stressed at the smallest things and all I want to do is lie in bed all day, on my computer or writing songs, but generally, I stay in my room. And I just feel so empty and sad. And I don't know what to do, because I love my boyfriend (of 1 year) and it hurts him when I'm like this, although he's pretty good about it.

I do have IBS, but it seems ok today. I once took the acne drug Roacutane, and I believe that this has links with depression, but would it make it come back off and on long term? I have also been on and off the pill, but that makes my mood swings even worse and I feel worse too. So I'm not on it now. (the last time was about 4 weeks ago and I only lasted on it for 6 days becauseit made me very tearful and spotty!)

I have a wonderful family and a wonderful boyfriend, so why do I keep getting these stupid low times, which can last for 2 weeks? ANd why do I go off my boyfriend and start being negative about everything?

If you have any ideas or advice, it would be a great help to me.

Thank you.
 sdfirenze - Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:39 pm

Jemima,

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles.

It sounds to you like you might be experiencing some depressive symptoms. I don't know that it would be linked to any of the medications you listed and I highly doubt it is a reaction to the pill. Unfortunately, people suffer from depression for no identifiable reason. It is an illness just like any other illness people get.

I would suggest setting up an appointment with a psychotherapist. If you are a student your school should have counselors available.

Good luck and I hope you get feeling better.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us