Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Lexapro dosages

scooby391114 - Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:34 pm

Hi. I am a 45 year old man who had an accident 5 years ago. Since that time I have chronic low back pain and I have progressed into full depression. My pain doctor has me on several medicines but I don't think he is up on depression. The medicines I am taking are Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Lyrica, Avinza, Soma, Lunesta and Valium. I have looked at a lot of sites on the internet and the dosages for Lexapro are 10mg or 20mg. My doctor has me on 80mg a day. Yes 4 20mg tablets every morning. Is this too much? It is making my sex life terrible, I have very bad dry mouth actually I have every side effect there is for Lexapro. If I lower the dosage will it alleviate some of my symptoms?
Thank You very much in advance.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:00 am

User avatar Hi scooby391114,
The typical dosage of Lexapro is 10-20mg a day. Dosages greater than this are not typically recommended. The symptoms that you describe are listed side effects of Lexapro. I would not encourage you to adjust any dosage without first consulting your physician. I would very strongly suggest that you talk to both your primary physician as well as your pharmacist.
Best wishes.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us