Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Anxiety problems

toban - Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:32 pm

I was in a very violent relationship but finally left my now exboyfriend. Even though it has been close to a year since I left him, he continued to stalk, threaten, harass me. He even had his friends come after me and twice I was physically assaulted. He was quite sadistic, sometimes he would lock me in a spare bedroom after beating me, sometimes for one hour or up to eight hours. And I would hear him joke with his friends about what they could do to me.

When I had injuries I experienced judgement, blame from my family doctor as well as three other doctors at walk in clinics, hospitals etc. I continue to have medical problems from the abuse. My problem is I get very anxious when I have to see a new doctor. In the waiting room, I feel very anxious but it becomes worse while I am in the examination room waiting for the doctor to come in. I know not all doctors are bad, good ones out there, but I have experienced alot of negativity due to the abuse and I become anxious easily. I try to calm myself, deep breaths, but it doesn't work. It comes to a point where I have delayed seeking medical treatment due to ongoing medical problems from the abuse or become secretive about my physical problems. Is it normal to feel this way?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:02 pm

User avatar What you are describing is a very normal emotion. These feelings can be very difficult to control at times. I would suggest you try to find a counselor that you feel comfortable talking with. Counselors can be very effective in guiding you through the healing process and helping you overcome your anxiety.

I would also advise you to continue to meet with your doctor, or if needed, change doctors to find one that you will feel comfortable with.

Hope this helps.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us