Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Anxiety problems

 toban - Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:32 pm

I was in a very violent relationship but finally left my now exboyfriend. Even though it has been close to a year since I left him, he continued to stalk, threaten, harass me. He even had his friends come after me and twice I was physically assaulted. He was quite sadistic, sometimes he would lock me in a spare bedroom after beating me, sometimes for one hour or up to eight hours. And I would hear him joke with his friends about what they could do to me.

When I had injuries I experienced judgement, blame from my family doctor as well as three other doctors at walk in clinics, hospitals etc. I continue to have medical problems from the abuse. My problem is I get very anxious when I have to see a new doctor. In the waiting room, I feel very anxious but it becomes worse while I am in the examination room waiting for the doctor to come in. I know not all doctors are bad, good ones out there, but I have experienced alot of negativity due to the abuse and I become anxious easily. I try to calm myself, deep breaths, but it doesn't work. It comes to a point where I have delayed seeking medical treatment due to ongoing medical problems from the abuse or become secretive about my physical problems. Is it normal to feel this way?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:02 pm

User avatar What you are describing is a very normal emotion. These feelings can be very difficult to control at times. I would suggest you try to find a counselor that you feel comfortable talking with. Counselors can be very effective in guiding you through the healing process and helping you overcome your anxiety.

I would also advise you to continue to meet with your doctor, or if needed, change doctors to find one that you will feel comfortable with.

Hope this helps.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us