Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Question: intrusive thoughts/ dreams of people dying

Branlynn - Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:15 pm

My boyfriend is 28,he is not on any medications and he told me he's been having dreams of people he knows "getting hurt" and or dying. these are reoccuring dreams that he has almost every night and sometimes he has these thoughts when he's awake too. As far as i know, he does not have OCD or POST TRUMATIC STRESS DISORDER. Is there any way to find the cause of these dreams and thoughts, or how to help him stop them?
 jrlpc - Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:58 pm

Hi there,

it is hard to know exactly what the cause of your boyfriend's dreams and thoughts are without knowing more about his history. Is there any stress going on in his life? Have there been any significant life changes recently? Did these dreams start all of the sudden or have they been occurring throughout his life? Any of the above questions can lead a doctor or therapist towards helping you and your boyfriend determine what the cause of this is.

The fact that your boyfriend is having these thoughts while he is awake as well as when he is asleep causes me to think that he needs to seek help with a therapist or doctor. It could be something as simple as stress which can cause a variety of symptoms However, given his age it could also be the early signs of other mental illnesses. I wouldn't stress yourself out over this, but I would definitely get him to a doctor to help you both manage and hopefully cure whatever the cause of this is.

As always, if you or your boyfriend are thinking of hurting yourself or someone else seek help immediately by going to the nearest ER or dialing 911.

Hope this helps some. Please keep us informed!