Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Interations between Wellbutrin SR and migrain medications?

Jasmine - Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:59 pm

I am a 30 yr. old female and have had migraine headaches since age 6. I have been taking Topamax (200mg) and Elavil (20mg) for approx. the last 5 yrs. as a daily preventative for my headaches. I use Imitrex injections, Maxalt ZMT or as last resort Lorcet (20mg)/Compazine (10mg) to abort my headaches.

At a recent visit to my neurologist I discussed my concern of feeling depressed and a lot of anxiety, but expressed that I did not want to take a drug that would cause weight gain. He decided to prescribe Wellbutrin SR (150mg daily for 14 days, then 150mg twice per day thereafter).

My doctor is well aware of all of the drugs I am currently taking....but I have read that there could be potential drug interations between the Wellbutrin SR and some of the migraine meds (Elavil or Compazine). Is this the case?

Depressed Migraine Sufferer
 Dr. K. Eisele - Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:30 am

User avatar Compazine/Wellbutrin SR: use a lower dose of Compazine, because Wellbutrin can slow the metabolism of Compazine

Compazine/Elavil: should be no problem with low doses of each, for example, a low dose of Elavil is 10 - 25 mg at bedtime, and is typical of doses prescribed for migraine.

Elavil/Wellbutrin SR: no problem with low dose of Elavil because Wellbutrin may slow the metabolism of Elavil.

The only red flags are if you have a history of heart problems or seizures; if you have either, you should be sure to let the neurologist know.

Otherwise, good luck with this new regimen. Feel free to come back with any questions.