Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: drug detox?

 playboyxxxplaya - Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:43 am

I'm a 23 year old male. couple years ago about when i was from 17-20, i experienced with drugs like exstacy, cocaine, mushrooms, and acid. I regret it so much now, and am wondering if there is anyway to detoxify the body as much as possible both physically and mentally? the only negative mental affects i experience is a very moderate anxiety. But am more so interested in detoxifying the body physically if possible. And if it is relevant I only experimented, doing each drug no more than 3 times.
 jrlpc - Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:09 pm

Hi there,

If it has been three years since you used ecstasy, cocaine, mushrooms, or acid then your body has already cleared the drugs out of your system and there is no reason as to why you would need to physically detox from the drugs. Contrary to popular belief, acid does not stay in your body forever. However, anxiety can be a side effect of using ecstasy. As for treatment for that, you can seek behavior therapy (from a psychiatrist/psychologist/therapist) or possibly pharmaceuticals such as Ativan or Xanax as they work rapidly to help anxiety, but are only for short-term use. Longer term medications are often used as well to help, but they can take a couple of weeks to really kick in.

I hope this helps some. As always, if you feel as though you are in danger to your self or someone else call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room immediately.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us