Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Question: Nothing is real? Life is a dream? HELP!

lily118 - Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:10 am

I've been on Wellbutrin (300mg/day), Effexor (300mg/day) and lithium (450mg/day) for 2 years for refractory depression. During this time, I frequently feel like nothing is quite real and that life is actually a dream. It bothers me that everyone else is so oblivious to this and they can't see past the surface of this "dream". I also feel emotionally numb all the time.

I think this is called derealization. How is it treated? Are there medications for it? Is it a side effect of anti-depressants or a symptom of depression? Thanks for your time.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:31 am

User avatar Lily:

What you've described does sound like derealization. It is common symptoms of certain anxiety disorders, but can certainly be a side effect of medication. Depression and anxiety do go hand in hand, so it is possible that this is a symptom of your depression.

I think the best thing for you to do at this time is contact your physician to schedule a follow-up appointment. Ask about other ways to treat your depression. Sometimes, antidepressants lose their effect after awhile. There is no way to predict how long any particular individual will be able to use a particular antidepressant with resolution of their symptoms.

Speak to your psychiatrist, and good luck.