Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/24/2017.

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Paxil CR use

jigsaw - Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:29 pm

I'm using Paxil CR@ 12.5 mg to treat a panic attack that left me with a bit of anexity. I feel that this was an isolated attack and I'm starting to feel better about the whole event. I have taken Paxil CR for a week now and would not like to take it for long at all. I won't stop unless my doctor says so but I was wondering if I maintain this dose for a few more weeks will I have withdrwal symptons when stopping. Also could the Paxil already be working because I read it can take two weeks. If thats so and I feel better everyday, is it a good idea to ask to maybe to not take them at all. Thank you. Also is it ok to have a beer or to while taking Paxil CR?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:57 pm

User avatar Hello jigsaw,
Paxil can take up to 4 weeks to start having an effect. Paxil. Withdrawal symptoms can be more likely to happen and may be more severe if one is taking a high dose and/or have been on it for a long duration of time; this is why it is generally recommended that the medication be tapered under the direct supervision of a physician.

I think you are correct to discuss discontinuation of Paxil with your physician since as you said you are improving too soon for it to be caused by the drug.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us