Medical Specialty >> Psychiatry

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Lexapro withdrawal

Kimmers - Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:37 pm

I am a 42 yr old female with GAD and panic taking Klonopin and wellbutrinXL.About 2 months ago I started tapering off 20 mg Lexapro. I went from 20 to 3 mg in 1 month, For a month now Ive been on the 3 mg. Everytime I try to quit I get sick. I havent taken it in 2 nights now and I was wondering if it could be giving me terrible tension headaches and pressure in parts of my head even though Im taking 1 and a half mg of Klonopin aday and have been for a year now.
 Dr. K. Eisele - Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:06 pm

User avatar Dear Kimmers:

I do believe this probably is withdrawal. Some people seem to experience withdrawal from the SSRIs more readily and more severely than do others, and no one has figured it why this is.

There is also the possibility that what you are experiencing is not really withdrawal but actually symptoms of your anxiety. Klonopin is a sedative and anxiolytic medication (promotes sleep and helps anxiety), but Wellbutrin tends to work the other way in most folks. It is not indicated for the treatment of anxiety.

Maybe a second opinion frrom another doctor is in order...
 whatever1921 - Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:19 pm

iam also 42 yrs old i took lexapro for a couple of months then i myself decided to stop cold turkey i was only talking 10 mg a nite. a few days after my head started feeling crazy so i started it back yesterday my question is how long can u saftly take this med and also shoul i have liver checks while taking it
 Dr. K. Eisele - Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:00 pm

User avatar Dear Whatever 1921:

Generally, there are no particular restrictions on how long Lexapro can be taken safely. Of course, keep in mind that Lexapro hasn't been around for a very long time, so things could show up after many years of use. On the other hand, the other SSRIs, fluoxetine (Prozac), in particular, has been around long-term and there have been no reports of bad reactions occurring simply due to its use for several years. Lexapro is very similar, and likely will prove to be safe in the long-term as well.

The manufacturer of Lexapro has not recommended any laboratory data be collected on a regular basis. You should have a physical exam with some lab work done regularly, though, at your primary care physician's recommendations.

Hope this helps.